Thursday, August 14, 2008

Where does it all go?

As you all may know, during a normal pregnancy (if you started at an average weight) you should gain at least 25 - 35 pounds. When I heard this I always thought that it seemed like a lot of weight to have to lose later, but if you are giving me permission, and it is in my baby's best interest then hey, why not, right?

WELL, at 5'3" that 25 - 35 pounds is MUCH more noticeable than on the average female of 5'5" or so. Ask my poor feet, some days if I have flat shoes on they hurt so bad after awhile that I just have to sit no matter where I am.

Anyway, I was looking online and found this chart that kind of tells you where the extra weight goes. I thought it was really interesting and wanted to share. Just with the extra blood, baby, placenta/womb and amniotic fluid, that is already 16 pounds right there. Where am I going with this? I don't know, but for once my work inbox is empty and I had some free time.....

* Side note: Oh, Jeff and Dad, I AM 5'3" thankyouverymuch.

Approximate breakdown of a weight gain of 29 pounds
Blood - 3 pounds
Breasts - 2 pounds
Womb - 2 pounds
Baby - 7.5 pounds
Placenta - 1.5 pounds
Amniotic fluid - 2 pounds
Fat, protein & other nutrients - 7 pounds
Retained water - 4 pounds

1 comment:

The Mausbach Family said...

I think I gained atleast 20 lbs. in just water weight! But that water weight comes off super fast! I gained 40 lbs. with Jenna, and came back from the hospital only to have lost like 4 pounds! (They pump fluid in you to help contract your uterus back to size). With Cadie, I gained 50 pounds! and came back from the hospital even bigger, because I had such a LONG labor :( Sorry for rambling :) Talk to you later.