Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Harper's Birth Story

June 4th 2010 at 6:50pm. 6 Pounds, 5 ounces, 18 inches long.


Friday morning was really just like any other morning. The only difference was, that as I was getting out of the shower I randomly had a brief thought that this might be my last day of being pregnant. Not for any reason; I wasn't contracting, I didn't feel any different, it just popped in my head. But just as quick as the thought appeared, it was gone. My morning just carried on as normal and Jeff and I both went to work.

Around 9:00 am, I noticed that I was having contractions. I didn't think much of it, but decided that I by 11:00 am I should start timing them. Within the hour, they had gone from every 7 minutes, to every 5 and then every 3. By this time, I am slowly starting to realize that I may be going to Labor and Delivery that afternoon, and if that happens then the chances of having a baby in the next few hours is pretty likely. I had already tied up most things at work, but I decided to give my coworker a run down of what was curently going on with my clients. When she looked at me funny, I told her that it was "just as a precaution" since I technically had 3 weeks left of work.

I talked to Jeff and let him know to keep his phone on, as I may have him come home. At this point, I decided that things were obviously progressing, and that either way I needed to leave work. Before I went home though, I ran to both banks to deposit checks and to get some money (by this time I was pretty sure things were happening). I got home, grabbed Aiden and took him into my room while I changed clothes and got things together. Jeff was on his way, and the whole thing was a bit surreal. I called Labor and Delivery and told them that I was coming.

When we got there, they assured me that yes, it looked like I was in labor again, and that I would be having a baby today. This was my cue to start crying. I wasn't ready, and my baby was not "full term" yet. I still had 5 more days for her to reach that point. The doctor was very kind and told me not to worry, but asked what, if anything would make me feel better since they would no longer stop labor being this far along. This was something that I was well aware of, I just didn't really expect it to happen. They sent the NICU nurse to come to talk to me, and answer any questions I might have as far as what they knew, and what I should expect from a baby born at 36 weeks and 2 days. She completely eased my mind, explaining that the only difference should Harper have stayed in until "full term" is that she would weigh more. Everything else like her lungs had already matured.


They admitted me, and started the long pre-op process before the surgery. All the nurses, doctors and anesthesiologists were so wonderful. I was able to relax and really take in the whole experience. At 6:50 pm we welcomed our Harper into this world via C-section. There was a very casual feel in the operating room, both surgeons were talking to me and carrying on normal conversations about their own children while they were doing the surgery. When I heard Harper cry for the first time, I just started to sob. It was such an amazing relief to know that everything was OK. Jeff would go over to the baby, take pictures, then come sit by me and show them to me. Finally when she was all clean, they brought her over to me. She was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen and I cried even harder when I saw her blonde hair. She was perfect in every way. I spent that night in the hospital as well as the following night. We were home by Sunday evening. Things are going much smoother than I had aniticpated. Aiden is being such a sweet boy, and Harper is just a dream.

I am soaking in every moment right now. I am so grateful, and simply could not ask for more.

















10 comments:

SurprisedMom said...

Beautiful Baby. Beautiful Family. Congratulations to all of you.

The Brown Family said...

okay i really love her! she is just perfect. and, how the heck did your parents get out there so fast?! so glad everything is going well. keep posting pics!

Unknown said...

So glad the nurses and everyone were able to ease your mind. The photos are great. The one of your 4 is adorable! Harper is so perfect!!!

Congrats again!!! <3

p.s. I am pretty sure that only you could be in labor and still look great in photos. :)

BellaDaddy said...

Through Tears I write this....LOVED reading the story of the day! Absolutely Breathtaking! Congratulations to you ALL!

BellaDaddy said...

Tee Hee:

http://belladaddy.blogspot.com/2010/06/when-life-gives-you-lemons.html

Otter Thomas said...

BellaDaddy sent me over here. Congrats to you on a beautiful baby.

Otter Thomas said...

I just notices your son was born 11/7/08. Ours was 11/12/08. I bet we have a lot in common.

Unknown said...

Ah geez.... Your post made my day!! The baby.. Mom.... You both look beautiful!! Babies are very groovy!

Congratulations!!!

WeaselMomma said...

She's lovely, congrats! You have a beautiful family.

Mommy Moreno said...

Shes Beautiful!!! Congrats!
(thanks for 'stopping by' my blog :) Im emailing you now! ;)