Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Yes, another C-Section, but not tonight please.

I initially hadn't planned to see the lovely new Kaiser Labor and Delivery establishment until our PLANNED hospital tour in a couple weeks. Well, as we know, you can't plan everything. And as it turns out, I spent four hours "touring" the Labor and Delivery Facility very early this morning. So that's what pre-term labor is all about! I could have done without that experience.

Around 10:00 last night, I began to experience what I knew to be harmless Braxton Hicks contractions. About 30 minutes later, I realized that even though I had never "labored" with Aiden, I knew enough to know that these contractions were coming way too often (about every 2 minutes or so). After speaking to the nurse around 11:00, I (she) decided that I needed to come in. We woke Aiden up, and headed to the hospital.

Sure enough, when we got there, and they put that monitor on, it confirmed that my contractions were coming every minute. They started to ask if my water had broke, who my OBGYN was, what my birth plan consisted of, etc....I wasn't too nervous initially, but this made my internal panic button flash, let me tell you. Hello, I'm only 31 weeks along, this baby needs to cook for AT LEAST 6 more weeks!

Anyway, long story short, the initial plan was to slow the contractions by hydrating me. After the dreaded "internal" exam (to make sure I wasn't dilating), I immediately drank 2 large pitchers of water - and waited (2 hours or so). No luck. In fact, the contractions continued and became increasingly uncomfortable. (Again confirming my desire for a repeat C-section). Seeing that this was not doing the trick, they decided that the would give me a Tributaline injection. After about 30 minutes my contractions slowed, and it was time for another "internal" exam (joy).

My cervix was still closed, so we were free to go. They figured that the main reason this had occurred, was due to dehydration. This doesn't make sense to me, since at work alone, I drink 96 ounces of water per day. But after 4 hours of this, I was done, glad that Harper was going to stay in her little home for awhile longer, and was ready to get me and my family to bed. Once we got home, I laid on the couch praying for sleep, but was reminded by my pounding heart, that one of the side effects of the injection, was increased heart rate. So I laid there, wondering how I was going to make it through today. But look, I'm still alive. Tired, but still alive.

Here's The Boss this morning, in my bed before I left for work. He was such a little trooper. Oh and daddy did an OK job too.

3 comments:

The Brown Family said...

so glad everything is okay!! make sure you get lots of rest. i'll be thinking of you guys and hoping everything goes okay.

Anonymous said...

Oh Stace that had to been scary... Tell miss harper to make herself comfortable she can't come out yet. I'll be thinking of you and ur family. Love you!

Mindy and Jeremy Cull said...

Yikes!!! Harper can't make her debut yet!!! Hope you are feeling ok!! Keep drinking that water!!