Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Stupid Pregnancy Comments


I've reached the conclusion that some people just don't know what to say to pregnant women, but they feel they have to say something. So they end up saying totally stupid and sometimes even offensive things.

My personal favorite of the moment is "You look like you're getting ready to pop." OK. I know they mean well, well some of them. So I resist the urge to say something like, "Actually, that's not how babies are born--they come out of the vagina." But think about it--how is that a nice thing to say to a person? I mean, really. Pregnant women already feel enormous and self-conscious enough without people telling them they look like they are so huge they are going to explode.

Here are some other things you shouldn't say to pregnant woman unless you are really close and already ask each other intrusive, personal questions:

Was it planned? When is it ever acceptable to ask a person about their sex life? Pregnancy doesn't make it OK.

Are you sure you're ready for this? Oh my gosh, you're right, I'm not! Thank god you said something.

Any comments regarding their body size, including how big they look, how small they look, how much weight they have or have not put on, how big their boobs and their butt are, etc. It's not polite to comment on some one's weight or figure when they're not pregnant, so why do you think it would be acceptable once they are?

You're not eating enough, you are eating for two now. I'm an adult and I know how to listen to my body and eat when it tells me to. Oh, and person number two in there is the size of a large piece of fruit. So, no, I'm not really eating for two.

Should you be having that soda/coffee/feta cheese/Tylenol? Back off, pregnancy police.

Birth horror stories. Again, what's the point here?

You're just hormonal. Yes, pregnant women have lots of crazy hormones. Yes, it makes us overreact sometimes. But our feelings are still valid. Don't dismiss them as a mere product of body chemistry. If you have a pregnant lady freaking out at you (men, pay attention), and you tell her she's hormonal, you're just going to make it worse.

Smug experiential remarks: "Your whole life is going to change" -Duh. "Just wait until he's screaming at 3 am and there's a diaper blow-out all over his crib" -Uh, OK. "Get sleep now because you'll never sleep again hahaha", "Your figure/stomach/butt is never going to be the same" Pregnant women know all this stuff....

You've read all these comments, don't be that person : )

6 comments:

Libby said...

This was the best post ever!!! I have not gotten the "you look like you're gonna pop" yet, but I know its coming. Hang in there, Aiden will be here soon.

BellaDaddy said...

THANKFULLY YOU SAID IT SO WELL!

And, we got the same things, almost...although, I DID gain allot of weight myself LOL!

Maybe I should come up with a list for what NOT to say to Two Dads...:-)

KISSS!

Mindy and Jeremy Cull said...

OMG! Too funny! I am dying laughing :) I couldn't have written it better myself.. Hang in there!!! Don't let anyone get you down!

The Mausbach Family said...

Ha HA HA!!! You make me laugh Stacy! You're right though people don't ever know what to say. My best was when I was at a store and I had Cadie with me , I was about 8 months along with Jenna, and someone actually asked me how old I was!!!! As if I didn't look "old" enough to have two kids! Mind your business people!

The Brown Family said...

Amen Sista! :-)

Unknown said...

Whatever, you're just hormonal...haha. JK...you tell em sister.