Wednesday, April 8, 2009

FIVE months

Yep, it's true, as of yesterday Aiden is already five months old. I'm not gonna say it, but you know what I am thinking....

Here is the latest update on our little Lemon-Aiden:

As some of you know, last weekend was his first weekend in his crib, in his own room. (funny how when I was pregnant I was fanatical about getting his room done and he didn't even sleep in it until he was 5 months old) The first couple nights he was up quite a few times, but as I have said this is not abnormal as even when he was in our room, he was up every 3-4 hours or so anyway. Yeah, sleep is hard to come by in the Lemon household. Trust me never did I think that we would have a baby that didn't sleep. You start to rack your brain at times wondering where you went wrong in the process when your friends tell you about there baby sleeping thru the night at 8 weeks.

HOWEVER, I feel as though we may be making some headway in the sleep department as of a couple days ago. As I posted on here before, the Pediatrician suggested that we start cereal since he was clearly waking up at night to eat. So, we tried that for about a week and.....FAIL....made no difference. Many people had suggested some sort of sleep training. Basically, what this means is that you help them learn to soothe themselves by letting them cry for about 5 minutes, then going in to soothe them, then the next time letting them cry for about 10 minutes before going in, and so on until you reach about 20 minutes (or something similar to this). After a couple of nights of this, they will hopefully be able to put themselves back to sleep. I have heard many success stories with this however, it just isn't for us. I feel like if he is waking up and eating, then he is hungry and I don't want to "train" him to skip these feedings.

So, onto the next thing. I have started to do what is called "dream feeding". Basically, I put him to bed at 8:00 and then at 10:00 I go in, change his diaper to wake him a little and then feed him again. He is just awake enough to eat, but not fully to the point that he wants to play or anything. The first night he was up only twice, at 2:30 and 5:30. Then last night, I only had to feed him at 4:30 and then he went back to sleep till 7:00. Hopefully, this will continue!

So, now that you know entirely too much about our sons sleeping habits, I will leave you with these.

Happy Hump Day!


5 comments:

The Brown Family said...

Happy 5 months Aiden! Don't worry, sleep will come at some point. Now that Holly is almost 2, I have learned that every stage is just that, a stage. They all come and go, even if some take longer than others. Aiden is just so cute! Can't wait to meet him!

BellaDaddy said...

Well, I suppose it IS better than sleepiong in a moses basket, atop the dryer...(on air only) for months LOL

Kudos!

The Mausbach Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Mausbach Family said...

I can't believe he's 5 months already! What a CUTIE!

Molly Suzanne said...

What a little stud muffin, he is seriously the cutest baby boy ever Stace!